I’m trying to get more visitors to my site from my feed, so I spent an hour over the weekend creating a plug-in for WordPress that lets me display an extra sentence or so at the end of each post but only in the feed and not on the site. I intend to put an advertising link back to the main site where I can push visitors to affiliate pages with relevant offers.
After creating the plug-in it got me thinking how it could be used in a few different ways:
- Promoting my own posts
- Displaying a copyright notice, aimed at splogs
- Links of my choosing would be displayed on splogs and sites that legitimately syndicate my content
- I could do a feed link exchange (I heard about that on Blog Storm
- Rent the space to advertisers
So firstly I’d like to hear if anybody is interested in the plug-in, as it would need a bit of tidying before releasing and secondly how much do do you think is a fair price for a slot on the Coolest Gadgets feed, based on the following stats:
- There will be 10 adverts in rotation so yours would be displayed 10% of the time
- We normally publish 10+ posts per day
- We have nearly 70,000 feed subscribers
- Our content is legally syndicated on sites like USA Today, Reuters, San Fransico Gate, IBS and a fair few more. So any adverts would also be on those sites (we have no control on how these are displayed)
- Our feed is ripped and displayed on 5 or so splogs that I know of, so again the advert would display there
So how much do you think is a fair price for a monthly or weekly slot, I have a figure in mind but I’d love to hear other peoples thoughts.
I’m also going to be adding the plugin here (unless I hear a big objection from Scott) in exchange for feedback I’d be happy to include your simple text ad in the rotation of this feed.