Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy, peaceful and prosperous New Year from Al and myself.
Let’s ensure that we leave behind all negatives and reasons why not to and make 2008 a doing year that builds on what we have already done and sets us up for the future.
Quick thought on 2007
In 2007 I have personally gone through a fair dip in Adsense, like many others, but that has been no bad thing for me, it gave me the jolt to open my eyes and realise I needed to make moves right now to ensure a more stable and an overall greater income in the future which has prompted me to invest in some good generic domains to build, earn from and lease.
It is clear there are limitless possibilities for everyone right now, probably the best time to invest a little time, a little money and some energy for great future rewards regardless of your financial position there is space for everyone, the key is to choose your battles, play smart and do more than the next person, over the last few years both Al and I have spent long hours regardless of short term returns building full time incomes on our own websites.
I expect to see more progress in the .co.uk domain market in late 2008 and I think it has to be said there are some amazing bargains to be picked up on forums, auctions and by going directly to owners for all domain extensions.
Quick thought on domains
The biggest change in my mindset is to STOP, beg or borrow the money to get the best possible domain name you can, a true generic that describes your market or product in the best way possible, whatever it takes!.. and then build your website.
If bedroomfurniture.com seemed overpriced 4 years ago at $15k is it any less so when it sold for around $150k this year? If you look at true generic domain sales in the past it is hard to spot many, if any, that seem overpriced looking at them now, but at the time many do. If I was to build 5 websites in 2008 I would make sure they were on the best domain names possible even if I had to borrow money to get the domains, whatever happens in the future the value of your generic domain will in my opinion appreciate whereas the value of a website will always be bound by it’s organic rankings and income. If you build 5 websites that ranked well, earned a fortune and then lost their rankings you would have nothing left, if you build them on generic domains then you are still holding a winning lottery ticket.
Quick thought on links
Last night a thought came to me on backlinks, donations – surely there are millions of local cause websites throughout the world with a charity, appeal or good cause and a website then a donation in return for a small banner (& text link) would seem like a great way to promote your site, donate money and some of those good cause websites get great links and trust which could really boost your website.
Looking forward to 2008
Overall I am pretty happy with ’07 and I have lots of things in the wind that may or may not come off including a really fantastic .com domain from 1996 that could one day easily be a 6 figure domain in my opinion – but the owner won’t sell at my opening offer of $800 for fear of it being just that! And won’t sell for $5k which is was my last offer and limit for it. What to do, exchanged about 10 emails so far and working hard on it, either way it should make for a good post and the deal is not dead yet! No way.
- I’d like to thank Al for sharing his gadget earning milestones and experiences, I have enjoyed reading about the affiliate sales especially and hope to get a piece of that action in the future! and doing over $1k a day just in Adsense should be inspirational to everyone.
- Thanks to Rob for helping me with my first lease getting me a contract and answering a few questions I had along the way.
- Thanks to Acorn domains for giving me a place to read and try and learn from.
- I’d like to thank all readers of Self Made Minds in 2007, it can be very rewarding just sharing highs and lows and sharing our learning curve, so those that read, comment and give us feedback really do make a difference.
- Special thanks to my wife Elaine for putting up with all that talk about domain names and trying as hard as she could not to look bored senseless 😉 Looks like it isn’t going to get any easier for you in ’08
So have a very happy and prosperous New Year! … Slange Var