This is another of those posts about sharing experiences and experiments. A couple of months ago I reported on the revenue streams of one of my sites and how the biggest slice of pie revenue was taken by Adsense and how I wanted to increase other income sources to minimize this dependency.
One of the other revenue streams I looked at was Tribal Fusion. They are a CPM ad network meaning you get paid per impression rather than per click. I implemented them a couple of months ago and placed a 468×60 banner at the top of each page, a vertical banner on the left navigation bar and rectangle in between posts on index pages. These ad positions were previously not used for anything constructive so any income generated should just be an addition, thus reducing the Adsense percentage and increasing the income to boot.
The first full month of the Tribal integration resulted in $1000 of extra revenue, without adversely effecting the other income streams. In fact with my recent Adsense optimisations, overall income from Google had actually increased so if anything the Adsense dependency had increased (not part of the plan but who’s complaining ).
One thing I had noticed of late is that page load times have been getting slower, the site is very image heavy but I was finding that the top title section would display first and then a second or two later the rest of the page would load. As the highest paying adverts were in the the rest of the page this is far from ideal.
To resolve this the first thing I tried was a server side push, meaning as soon as the html containing the Adsense was generated on the server I would push it down to the client. I did this using the php command, ob_flush() (PHP manual). It was worth a try but in this case made no difference at all.
After a bit more investigation it turned out that it was the Tribal Fusion code that was causing the problem. When the TJ top banner was being displayed it was stopping the rest of the page loading, and when the TJ servers were busy it resulted in one hell of a delay.
The solution to this was the same as what I did with my previous Adsense optimisation, I used CSS to display the TJ adverts at the end. The result of this has been much faster page loads, a 25% (or so) reduction in TJ income but most importantly an improved CTR (~1% improvement) of my most profitable Adsense unit.
So in conclusion, I’m now earning an extra $750 a month from Tribal Fusion and my Adsense income has increased by ~$100 per day. So I’ve failed in reducing the percentage made from Adsense but as I’ve increased overall monthly income by a nice margin I won’t complain.